Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Packing for 2 years?!?

So I've started the process of gathering everything I will need (want) to take with me to the sandbox. I've packed for some long trips - but nothing like this. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I was already an 'outdoorsy' kinda gal, but since I'm not I basically have to start from scratch. I haven't owned a sleeping bag since middle school - I have never owned a tent - and I definately have never had a need for a headlamp - until now. As I was ordereing my REI Bug Hut 2 (yes, it's an upgrade from the Bug Hut 1) and other things from a website made for people like me, I strangely felt like I was preparing to spend two years in the woods, then I realized I was just preparing to spend two years in the desert, close enough. So in case you were interested, curious or just down right nosy, I thought I'd share a few of the items that I'll be stuffing into my suitcases - all of which I'm sure I'll covet once I actually get over there. Next item on my list is an internal frame backpack (just learned that term). Goal: To pack as much as I can and still be able to wear the backpack without tipping over backwards. My little LED headlamp to wear in the pitch dark when I'm trying to locate the ladies room - or just the hole in the ground. Pray for a western toilet.
Mummy style summer sleepsack. I've heard the sheets I'll be provided can be compared to sandpaper so this will be something comfy to zip up in. Here she is - the REI Bug Hut 2 (aka - my little oasis so those pesky little mesquitos don't hurt me while I sleep).



Skirts! I found them. Laugh all you want, but these things are comfy, I may never shave my legs again - you definately can't see them with these things on. I'm really glad that Boho Chic is "in" according to some teenybopper website. I'm sure the Mauritanians are thrilled.


Solar charger to the rescue! Back to the basics. Leave it outside all day to charge in the sun, bring it in at night and plug my ipod, cell phone or digital camera to charge. Magic.

1 comment: