Monday, August 17, 2009

Peace Out



Well it's about that time. I've said goodbye to my parents and many friends over he past few days and now it's really time to go. This post has been a long time coming, to say the least. I was ready to type this in mid-June as I prepared to travel to the French speaking Muslim world of Mauritania. But, plans change. Due to elections, coups, visa issues and most likely other factors that we’ll never know about, plans changed and my trip to Mauritania was cancelled.

Surprisingly I was only bummed for a night or two….realizing that everything happens for a reason so there must be something great waiting for me around the corner. My patience was tried for one whole long week before I learned that I would be spending my next 27 months in Namibia, Africa.

Now that my departure date is finally here I’ll admit that August 18th managed to creep up from behind and tap me on the shoulder faster than I ever expected it to. It’s the day that I leave the comforts of home behind and head to Washington, D.C. to meet up with my fellow trainees, also known as Group 30, I believe – meaning we are the 30th group of Peace Corps Volunteers to serve in Namibia. From D.C. we’ll fly together on a never-ending flight to Johannesburg, South Africa where we will overnight before boarding a final flight to Windhoek, Namibia.

Who knows what I’m about to endure and enjoy, but I’m as ready as I’ve ever been.

Sometimes you just need a good break from the everyday monotony of what we call life and while some people might just take off and go to the beach or sneak away to read a book…I’m taking a different route. Why? I wish I had some profound answer for that question….no, I’m not looking to save the world one child at a time and no, I’m not having a pre-turning-30 crisis. I just needed a change of scenery and wanted to see the world from a completely different perspective than I have before. I want to try my hand at something that I have never done and be successful. I want to live simple and take a deep breath. And for the first time in my life I will love to not wear makeup and fix my hair every day! I’m leaving my pearls behind as well as my party dresses, peep-toes and weekly pedicures. And while many of you wonder how I will survive without these gems that I’m known for…….who knows…but I’m really looking forward to finding out.

People ask me everyday how this “Peace Corps thing” came to be and why I was leaving the guts and glory of campaigns and politics. Well here’s the answer that I’ve finally coined nearly one year in the making: I chose to serve in the Peace Corps because I need a break. Not a break to relax and recoup. And not a break to revive my senses in the day spa either (however I have a strange feeling I’ll be craving that at some point down the road). I merely need to take a break from the world I’m living now and see what else I can become. I want to see what else is out there and make a difference in someone else’s life along the way. That’s it. Nothing profound, nothing to be printed in the Herald Leader….just a simple new take on life is what I’m after.

So here I go….

To the people who my memories are made of, thank you. To those of you have challenged, questioned or dared me, thank you. If you’ve loved me, cared for me, or picked me up when I was down, thank you. Those of you who taught me to really love and really laugh – thank you. You have all, in your own unique way, prepared me for this 17 hour plane flight and the world I’m about to discover when I deplane in Namibia.

Here’s wishing the best for each of you! PLEASE PLEASE stay in touch!

Stay classy Kentucky,
Amy


PS. To all of the birthdays I will miss: May they be filled with plenty of laughter and lots of bubbly. To all of the brides and grooms I won’t get to see walk down that aisle: Kick up your heels to “Mustang Sally” and toast a glass of champagne for me – I want pics ASAP! And finally, to all of those babies on their way into this crazy world (Jones, Bostick,& Lankster): I can’t wait to meet you! Crazy Aunt Amy will be back before you know it. And to Will Jones – you keep fightin’ my friend.

3 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you, my sweet friend. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got goose bumps! So happy for you! I love you more than you will ever know! And I'm even MORE proud! Love,Mills

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, hell - it isn't nice to make a pregnant woman cry! Miss you already. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete