Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Namibia or bust!


Currently I'm sitting at the airport awaiting our flight to South Africa that departs at 5:40pm. We've had two pretty long days of Staging (orientation, shots, policies and procedures) and while none of us feel "prepared"...we are prepared as we can be. I am part of Group 30, meaning the 30th group of PC Volunteers to serve in Namibia. We are 33 strong and come from a variety of backgrounds. Some with plenty of travel experience, some with very little, some with none. The West is represented with a married couple from Seattle and others from L.A. and Colorado while the East and Midwest are pretty heavy with volunteers from New York, and a few from Pennsylvania and Ohio, Virginia, Illinois and Indiana. There is one other girl from the South here so Georgia and Kentucky should be proud of their southern ladies. We even have someone from Hawaii. Needless to say, people are from all over and that's what makes it so interesting. We do feel a bit as if it's the first few days of college as you try to figure out your surroundings and make new friends, but we're doing pretty well.
Tonight..tomorrow? sometime we land in Johannesburg, South Africa after our 17 hour flight. At some point during the journey we stop in Dakar, Senegal to refuel but we won't deplane. We finally land in Jo'Burg at 5:20pm on August 2oth where we will tranfer to a hotel for the night. The following morning we will board a plane for Namibia. FINALLY.
The last 2 days have been filled with emotions that I might not ever be able to describe to you. I won't lie...I had the feeling of "what am I doing?"..."its not to late to go home" last night after orientation. And I was on the verge of tears for most of the day. BUT. Today is a better day. Everyone is anxious, nervous and excited but we just want to get there.
Thanks to everyone for the well wishes and luck sent my way. I will need it. There is no doubt.
Not sure when I will be able to post again but keep checkin!
Hugs!
(Above is a picture of our arrival at the airport earlier today and all of our bags)

7 comments:

  1. WOW! That's A LOT of luggage. . .so proud you didn't have to pay extra! Can't wait to read what's next! Love you! Mills

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I'm so very proud of you and the courage it takes to start this new venture of your life.
    You take great care and know that I love you.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so brave and if I haven't told you enough - you are my hero! I am thinking of you contantly and praying for safe travels and easy adjustments. I know you will make new friends quickly and will hit the ground running. Love you and miss you already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, Not sure what day it is where you or how soon you will read this but wanted you to know I was thinking of you. It is Thursday, Aug. 20, here in KY as I write this. My 6th graders are at lunch right now. I really hope we can set up some kind of exchange while you are in Namibia. At the least, we will follow your blog. Though I teach language arts, my colleague who teaches social studies (the kids study world geography in 6th grade--perfect!) and I plan some collab 'stuff' so I hope we can follow you together.

    All the best--hope you are doing well! I admire you so much; this is a very brave thing you are undertaking.

    Fondly, Kathy Howells

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cool!

    Russ Woodward

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey sweetie, can't wait to hear every detail!
    Sent a package on the 11th let me know
    when and if you get it!
    Love teen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad we finally talked to you today. You sounded good and excited. Let us know when you get your phone. Stay safe and we love you.

    Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete