Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Patience and Flexibility

In every book, document or email I've received from the Peace Corps to date has most always included a plea for my patience and flexibility throughout this entire process from application to departure. Now I know why. Last night I got a call from the Peace Corps HQ in Washington, D.C. that informed me that I was not leaving on June 15th as we had originally planned. In fact, they didn't really know when I would be leaving but hoped for mid-August.

Given the current state of affairs in Mauritania and the upcoming Presidential elections that are set to take place on July 18th (cross your fingers they don't delay the elections further) the government is refusing to issue our visas that we are required to have before we board the plane to Mauritania. The PC thinks that after the elections things will be fine and we'll be able to go.

I'm a little bummed, but realize that there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. So I'll just enjoy my summer at home and make the best of it. I could leave sooner but the PC wasn't real optomistic about that.

Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment