Monday, February 9, 2009

"Congratulations! You've been invited to serve...."

INVITED!! Well it finally happened….I’ve been invited to serve in the Peace Corps! After 8 months of filling out endless amounts of forms, having seven viles of blood drawn, a few shots, and countless hours of waiting, I received a packet in the mail on Saturday, February 7, 2009 that will forever change my life.

I actually knew the Peace Corps had mailed the invitation packet on February 2nd, which caused me to speed home every night after work to check the mailbox. On Saturday the invitation finally arrived and I swear I would have kissed the mailman if he’d been around. I jumped in my car to head straight to Harrodsburg to share the news with my family and as soon as I ripped open the packet I saw the words…. “Congratulations! You have been invited to serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Mauritania.” “Where the hell is that” was my first reaction (and many of yours)…..second reaction was to call home.

My brother answered the phone and upon sharing the news he immediately found our family atlas and searched for this unknown country I was about to move to for 27 months. He went on to open our encyclopedia from 10 years ago only to find 1 page dedicated to Mauritania. Within 2 minutes he had determined that over half the land in Mauritania is actually the Sahara desert and it is bordered by Morocco and Algeria to the North, Senegal to the South, Mali to the East and the Atlantic Ocean to the West. Honestly I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry so I’m pretty sure I did both on the drive home.

Over the next four months I’ll be sharing more details as I prepare to leave Kentucky for a few short years. If you’re interested in keeping up with me as I make this journey across the pond bookmark this blog and come along with me.

My hope is that this blog will be an opportunity to share my candid experiences, frustrations, joys, ups, downs, twists and turns as I figure out how to pack 2 years worth of clothes, toiletries, necessities, and food in 2 suitcases and then figure out how to make a home in a country thousands of miles away from my family and friends. For now I’m headed to Barnes & Noble to buy some French and Arabic conversation books…..boy I wish I would have listened more in Ms. Dean’s class.

Quick Facts

· Program/Assignment: English teacher to secondary level students
· Dates of Service: June 14, 2009 – August 19, 2011
· Training: June 16-August 20, 2009 in Rosso, Mauritania
· Official country name is The Islamic Republic of Mauritania
· Capital is Nouakchott
· 27th largest country in the world
· Independent from France in 1960
· Climate is mostly hot, dry and dusty
· Population is about 3.3 million people
· 100% Muslim, mostly Sunnis
· Diamonds and gold are a natural resource (Hat tip to Mills for this one!)
· Arabic and French are the official and national languages
· Same time zone as London – 5 hours ahead of Kentucky time (Thanks Kenny!)
· Potential health risks…well there are several (Thank you Chris Bostick)

Stay tuned….more to come!

(PS: for those of you who are just finding out through this blog, I apologize. I wish I could have told everyone face to face, but it just hasn't been possible and I really didn't want to share until I knew I had been invited. Hope you'll forgive me!)

9 comments:

  1. I'm sooooooo happy for you and excited and scared and well, I don't know. I read your post and laughed and cried at the same time. I already know more about Mauritania than I ever would've if one of my very best friends in the whole wide world wasn't going to make it home for the next two years. I've added it to my weather app on my iPhone so I can at least keep up with the weather there. I want to know as much as you're allowed to share, and make it funny!! I'm going online right now to see if I can learn the most popular boy names there so I can tease you when you get a chance to call. How do you spell click-clack-clickity-clickity-click-click? Help, Ellen!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of all the gold and glittered invitations that you've recieved throughout your life I'm certain this one will be the most memorable and life changing. It scares me, makes me smile, makes me think that you're definitely a little crazy, makes me wonder if this experience will compare with other "trenches" you've been in ...bottom line I still can't believe it but I do believe in YOU! Thanks for letting us live vicariously through your courageous adventure...safe journey, bon voyage and a bientot! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful! I think I understand how you are feeling right now. I remember in 1974 when I decided to join the Army. Most people thought I was crazy. When the final letter came that I indeed would be spending the next 2 years of my life in the US Army, I shared all the emotions that you are experiencing now. I had a 2 year commitment and figured that even if I hated it, I could do 2 years and have an adventure to talk about. Twenty years later at my retirement I could not believe how quickly the time went and what wonderful experiences I had. Best wishes Amy. I cannot wait to read every word you have to say about this exciting new life. My best advice - never lose your sense of humor. You will need it. And remember that we are all so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure what to say... While reading this post I smiled, laughed and now I am crying at my desk. I am so proud of you and envy your bravery and strength. You have a certain zest for life and although I will miss you terribly, I cannot wait to follow your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy,

    Wow, Wow!!! What an adventure! I am just thrilled for you. Mauritania will never be the same :)) Really looking forward to reading your impressions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot wait to read more posts and take this journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Amy,
    I AM THRILLED FOR YOU. Your service to the young people of Mauritania will be a rewarding memory for you. I visited a young man in Columbia many years ago. He and other Peace Corps workers built a school for mountain children to attend. I am glad the Peace Corps is still active. And, I am delighted that Christine and you are letting me share your experiences vicariously. Having just recovered from Open Heart surgery, I love receiving news over the Internet.
    Stay healthy and have some fun as well.
    Mary Chambless

    ReplyDelete
  8. From Mom and Dad:
    We are so proud of you and you never cease to amaze us with your adventurism. Our emotions are running high with excitement for you while being just a little bit scared for you. I'm sure as time gets closer we will be getting those same feelings we had when you were about to go off to college. The big difference is I could spell South Carolina not Moreatania or something like that. Love Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm nominated for Sub-Saharan Africa in February '10. This blog will be a great way to follow your experiences before I arrive! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete